Victoria reached a record 532 cases last Monday but this figure was quickly surpassed with 723 infections on Thursday and 627 yesterday.

Mathematical biologist Deborah Cromer, from the University of NSW’s Kirby Institute, told The Weekend Australian the situation is “not under control at this point”.

According to her modelling for the newspaper, the trend line averaging out the highs and lows of the state’s daily numbers projects 582 new cases tomorrow, 723 next Friday, 899 on Wednesday, August 12, and 1118 on August 17.

However, Dr Cromer said she was not saying these daily totals would be realised as we wait to see when Victoria’s numbers plateau and trend down.

BE FIRST TO KNOW: Download the news.com.au app for breaking news alerts on the latest coronavirus developments

Meanwhile, Queensland closer its border to residents from Greater Sydney at 1am today.

Follow our live coverage of COVID-19 in Australia below.

Live Updates

Grocery chain Harris Farm Markets has released a statement after a confirmed COVID-19 case attended its store in Leichhardt, in Sydney’s inner west, last weekend.

“We have been notified by NSW Health that a customer with a confirmed case of COVID-19 visited our Leichhardt store on Sunday 26th July between 3pm and 3.30pm,” the statement, dated Friday, reads.

“NSW Health has confirmed the risk of infection to customers and our team is low due to the nature of the customer’s visit.

“In line with public health advice we are taking all necessary steps to protect the health and safety of our team and our customers which is our number one priority.

“We have also undertaken a deep clean of the store for additional peace of mind.

“Customers and team members should be assured they can continue to safely shop and work at our Leichhardt market.

“Anyone who visited the Leichhardt store during that time and feels unwell or shows symptoms should get tested.”

Picture: Troy Snook

Harris Farm Markets co-chief executives Tristan, Luke and Angus Harris also posted on social media on Friday about the Leichhardt case.

“Whilst we hope this will be an isolated incident the Victorian experience tells us that we should be prepared to expect more,” it reads.

The chain mandated mask use for staff in all of its distribution facilities earlier this week and “made a strong recommendation to our store teams to wear the masks that we provide to them”.

“We are now also calling out to our customers to do the same,” the post reads.

“This simple and effective act can save lives and help get this great country going again. We hope you can play a part with us in achieving that.”

There were 21 new cases of COVID-19 announced in NSW on Friday, bringing the state’s total since the pandemic began to 3567.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has set a deadline of Sunday for COVID-19 data to be analysed by health authorities, The Herald Sun reports.

This could result in changes to rules or an extension of the current lockdown.

Greater Melbourne and the Mitchell Shire have been in a six-week lockdown since July 9, due to end on August 19.

Nine reports Mr Andrews and Prime Minister Scott Morrison in a call on Thursday night discussed introducing tighter lockdown measures, such as those imposed in New Zealand.

Premier Daniel Andrews. Picture: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images

From 11.59pm on Sunday, everyone in Victoria will need to wear a mask or face covering when they leave home.

The updated restrictions brought the state’s regions in line with Melbourne and surrounds.

Cases of COVID-19 in Victoria are doubling every 16 days with modelling for The Weekend Australian showing the state could record 1000 daily infections by the middle of this month.

Victoria reached a record 532 cases last Monday but this figure was quickly surpassed with 723 infections on Thursday and 627 yesterday.

Mathematical biologist Deborah Cromer, from the University of NSW’s Kirby Institute, said the situation is “not under control at this point”.

“Having said that, I think it is more under control than it was three weeks ago. But it is not well contained and the numbers are growing, which suggests it is still spreading,” she told the publication.

“I don’t think that is indicative of an outbreak that is under control. It is an outbreak that may be manageable, but it is not one that is under control.”

The newspaper reports the trend line averaging out the highs and lows of the daily numbers projects 582 new cases tomorrow, 723 next Friday, 899 on Wednesday, August 12, and 1118 on August 17.

However, Dr Cromer said she was not saying these daily totals would be realised as we wait to see when Victoria’s numbers plateau and trend down.

Victoria had recorded just over 2000 cases in total by late June and 4000 by mid-July. The total as of last night was 10,577.

Source: Victorian Department of Health and Human Services

Before any new cases are announced across Australia today, let’s take a look at the coronavirus situation across the country.

There were 651 cases of COVID-19 reported in the last 24 hours nationwide including 627 in Victoria, 21 in New South Wales, and one each in Western Australia, Queensland and South Australia.

A total of 16,905 cases have been recorded since the pandemic reached our shores, according to federal health department data updated by 9pm last night.

There have been 196 deaths and more than half of those have been in Victoria.

Source: Department of Health

It’s official – Queensland’s borders to all of Greater Sydney are closed.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk tweeted one minute after the border closure at 1am on Saturday.

She broke the news on Wednesday when the Sunshine State declared all of Greater Sydney a COVID-19 hotspot.

READ MORE HERE

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

A Melbourne doctor in his 30s is one of at least three healthcare workers who have been in intensive care after catching coronavirus at work, the ABC reports.

The Northern Hospital emergency department doctor is currently in a stable condition.

Another GP in his 30s was intubated at Royal Melbourne Hospital after catching COVID-19 at a screening clinic, according to the broadcaster.

Meanwhile, a 53-year-old aged care worker was in ICU at the Austin Hospital but has since been moved out.

More than 1000 Victorian healthcare workers have contracted the virus since the beginning of the pandemic.

Coronavirus conspiracy theorist Eve Black, who laughed her way through a police checkpoint and was later dramatically arrested, has been revealed as a topless waitress.

Ms Black appears in raunchy photos on websites including Chase Strippers, where she is listed as a topless waitress under the stage name “Eden”.

She is also listed on another site as a topless waitress with details including her height, eye and hair colour with a background of Australian/Greek.

The Herald Sun reports Ms Black was a major hit last year at a notorious Melbourne swingers’ party.

She had been booked to play an angel for the headline performance of the “good and evil” theme, but organisers felt she was better suited to playing the devil, “which she did with gusto”, according to the paper.

One Melbourne punter told the Herald Sun, “Of all the toppys we’ve had to the house in between lockdowns, Eden was the best,” using slang for topless waitress.

It comes as Ms Black faces a fine of up to $10,000 over her “selfish” viral social media stunt, which sparked widespread condemnation.

Ms Black was dramatically arrested in Melbourne on Wednesday, a week after she was filmed laughing her way through a police checkpoint.

She uploaded a video of herself arguing with a police officer at a coronavirus checkpoint in Bunyip on July 23. She was detained just before 2pm on July 29 in an arrest that forced police to smash her car window.

Read more here.

The owners of a Thai restaurant chain linked to more than 100 coronavirus cases in NSW say they have been bombarded with vicious messages on social media.

Breaking their silence to Nine’s A Current Affair, Thai Rock owners Stephanie and David Boyd said they were not to blame for the situation.

“It’s destroyed our business,” Mr Boyd told the program.

“I don’t know how we can recover for this,” Ms Boyd added.

Their Wetherill Park location has been linked to 94 cases, and their Potts Point location a further seven, but they insist they don’t know what went wrong.

“There’s a lot of mistruth out there, a lot of accusation,” Ms Boyd said.

Mr Boyd said he understood “people are scared” and wanted to blame someone, but “listen to facts”.

“We don’t know (how COVID-19 came to the restaurant),” he said.

“NSW Health don’t know. We’re still trying to investigate that.

Read more here.

As if lockdown wasn’t hard enough for Victorians, KFC restaurants in Melbourne are now experiencing a shortage of chicken.

“Our chicken supply has been disrupted in Victoria this week and some of our restaurants will only be open for limited hours or may have to close this weekend,” a KFC Australia spokesperson told 9 News.

“We’re sorry for any issues this causes our customers – we’re doing everything we can to help our suppliers get back on track.”

Melbourne restaurants have had to close – or are only open for limited hours – because of the supply issue.

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

More than 8000 people have flown into Queensland from NSW ahead of the border closing at 1am on Saturday, while thousands more flocked over via road.

Airlines added an additional 17 flights between Sydney and Brisbane on Friday to deal with increased demand, authorities said.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said there “would be delays”. “So think about your travel plans and think about where you need to go and think about the timing of those journeys,” she said on Friday morning.

Picture: Nigel Hallett

“I’m not making any apologies for those delays because our police have a very important job to do and I want to thank everybody for the work that they are doing on our borders to keep Queenslanders safe. There is nothing more important during this time.”

Queensland blindsided its southern neighbour on Wednesday by declaring the whole of Greater Sydney as a coroanvirus hotspot in response to an uptick in cases.

From 1am on Saturday, anyone travelling from Greater Sydney to the Sunshine State will have to endure a mandatory 14-day quarantine period in a hotel at their own expense.

tinyurlis.gdv.gdv.htclck.ruulvis.netshrtco.de